Tuesday, February 20, 2018

SFN "Demo" EP [625 Thrash Records, 2008]


Very different than what I would normally post and the first of what will probably be a string of posts of bands I wouldn't normally be expected to post or talk about.

SFN is a huge exception within the powerviolence genre in the fact that I think their demo EP here is one of the best releases of the 2000s and it still completely holds up for me as a record. I don't think powerviolence really translates well to an LP format, I think an EP is the full length equivalent for any PV band, anything past that tends to get boring or monotonous in my opinion. Likewise it seems like the majority of powerviolence bands' best material ends up on their demo. I think it might be partially a production thing, I don't want to hear ultra polished or well recorded PV or grind. I think the lofi stuff is the best representation of the genre. Here SFN have both aspects playing to their favor as this is their demo and best material in my opinion and delivered in the fast pacing of an EP. 

This is completely original PV with tons of twists and turns, funkiness to keep things interesting, and I love how it mostly stays fast to mid-paced throughout. I cannot think of a musical strategy that looses my interested faster than PV bands that go for high contrast ultra-fast parts juxtaposed with doom metal level drudgery, and thankfully SFN never falls back on that in this demo. Highest recommended power violence record I can think of. 

dl link:
SFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment