Wednesday, November 8, 2017

BATH-TUB OFFENDERS "Re, Abraham Cross" CD [Roberts Hawaii / Meatbox, 2008]




I remember being 15 years old and getting my hands on the All Crusties Spending Loud Night 2002 DVD, it was right when I was discovering punk in Japan and starting to get into more abrasive and noisy punk music. Being so isolated and living out in rural Pennsylvania didn't allow me the ability to get my hands on a lot of records at the time so the DVD was one of the few alleys that allowed me to have access to the music. I watched the hell out of that DVD and one of the stand out bands/performances from their 2 songs on it were the mighty ABRAHAM CROSS. Ripping and brutal DOOM inspired crust. I was totally blown away by their tracks and they still remain one of my all time favorite Japanese Crust bands. 

And to add to their legacy, here is a very curious CD release. The phenomenon of Crust and Dance/Techno music crossover is a well known in Japan and this is a true marriage of both genres. From what I can tell this is an effort by artist Kemm Sunouchi. They took a chunk of ABRAHAM CROSS's brutal noisy crust onslaughts and remixed them as dance/techno/house music pieces. I think there are varying levels of success between each song but over all I think it's a great reinterpretation and definitely worth the listen for any fan of ABRAHAM CROSS. I think the tribal-techno rendition of ABRAHAM CROSS's, in my opinion, best song "Feelings In Soil" is particulary great. 

The artwork was done by Hiroshi Nozaki who was in COLLAPSE SOCIETY, DECONSTRUCTION, and now STAGNATION, who also has tons of connections to the Japanese Crust scene's push towards techno/dance music. Hiroshi and Kemm have another project called BUTTHEAD SUNGLASS that I haven't heard yet that is also experimental crust/dance music apparently. 

The singer of ABRAHAM CROSS also has a series of CDrs under the name DJ DISCHARGE that are ambient/dance/techno/soundscape pieces that are also worth looking into. 

dl link:
Bath-Tub Offenders!

No comments:

Post a Comment